Meet the Owner!
I hold a Bachelor of Music Degree from the University of Missouri-Columbia, and I am a single mother.
Three years ago, I met an amazing little boy who changed my life forever! After two years as a foster mother, I adopted my son, Chance. In April of 2016, he was diagnosed with ASD, prompting me to attend workshops and seminars on autism and advocacy, and seek therapies to enhance his development. More personally, I noticed that a typical trip to the park, or a classmate’s birthday party was anything but typical for my son. Crowds, sights and sounds would easily cause him increased anxiety. So, I pursued play and social outlets that would be more therapeutic and allow him to interact comfortably with others. We found and joined We Rock the Spectrum Kid’s Gym in Fenton, and it became a special place to play with his cousin, who is neurotypical. With every visit to WRTS, I noticed my son’s growth in play, processing and interaction.
I had long been a resident of the North County St. Louis – St. Louis area, and was familiar with the lack of recreational facilities for children. I knew immediately that I wanted to share the We Rock the Spectrum Kid’s Gym experience with other children and their parents. My goal is to provide a much-needed resource for children and their families; a place where children with disabilities and neurotypical children can play and learn together in a truly integrated environment; teaching patience, tolerance and acceptance.
Our Gym Includes:
- Suspended equipment with swings – for balance and vestibular treatment
- Crash mats and crash pillows – for fun, motor planning, and strength
- Zip line – for stress release and joint and body relaxation
- Trampoline – for building leg and core strength
- Indoor play structure – for climbing and increasing playground skills
- Sensory-based toys – for improved auditory processing and fine motor skills
- Fine Motor and Arts and Crafts Area – for improved hand-eye coordination